About the Artist:
- SCA Name: Lady Prudence the Curious
- Mundane Name: Esther Scott
- Branch: Shire of Emerald Keep
About the Source:
- Time period: 15th Century
- Country: The Netherlands
- Modern source: SCA Class entitled “Squashed Bug” taught
by Lady Svea the Short-Sighted. She lives in the Shire of Barren Sands
in the East Kingdom.
- Historical Source: Generic combination of the faux style as seen in
The Master of Mary of Burgundy (see the Court Baroncy – Katherine
Barr of Cumberland for details on this book of hours) and other period
manuscripts, interpreted through knowledge of recipient.
- Script: Generic Carolingia Miniscule. This text is not appropriate
to the Flemish Illumination style, but Gothic scripts are my bane. I
wasn’t even close to doing one well enough for a scroll when I
started this in 1997.
About the Scroll:
- Type of scroll: Award of Arms (East Kingdom)
- Scroll Recipient: Griffith Davison
- Date of Completion: July 2005
- Paper: Aqvarelle Arches Watercolor Block – Hot Pressed
- Ink: Winsor & Newton Ink – 951 – Black India Ink
- Pen: Panache (Refillable Ink Cartridge) – with Extra-Fine Nib
- Paint: Winsor & Newton Artists’ Acrylic Color
- Dimensions: 14 by 20 inches
Additional Notes: A rush order from the Crown, this scroll
was started at Pennsic without any books to work from. I worked the script
and illuminations from memory. The painting was completed several years
later at home.