About the Artist:
- SCA Name: Sara Penrose
- Branch: Barony of Loch Soilleir
About the Source:
- Time period: 1503-1508
- Country: Italy
- Modern Source: Bibliotheque Nationale de France, Department of Manuscripts:
- Historical Source: Jean Bourdichon, The Grand Hours of Anne of Brittany
(Latin 9474), Folios 18, 68, and 104v
- Script: Batarde
About the Scroll:
- Type of scroll: Rapier prize scroll for the 2007 Defenders of the
- Scroll Recipient: Ingve of York
- Date of Completion: November 2007
- Paper: Arches #140 hot press
- Ink (calligraphy): Higgins Black Magic (black),
- Paint: Windsor & Newton gouache
- Gold: Schmincke Gold Pearl gouache.
- Dimensions: 9 x 12"
Additional notes: In the originals, the name of each
flower is in Latin at the top of the illumination, and in French at the
bottom. In my reproductions, the top is in English instead of Latin.
Each flower was chosen to represent a specific competition: I chose Borage
for the Rapier scroll. Borage represents courage and bravery. Supposedly,
fighters as early as the ancient Celtic warriors and the Roman soldiering
class would drink Borage wine to give them courage.
VIEW #1 | DETAIL
VIEW #2 | DETAIL