About the Artist:
- SCA Name: Sara Penrose
- Branch: Barony of Loch Soilleir
About the Source:
- Time period: 1503-1508
- Country: Italy
- Modern Source: Bibliotheque Nationale de France, Department of Manuscripts:
- Historical Source: Jean Bourdichon, The Grand Hours of Anne of Brittany
(Latin 9474), Folios 18, 68, and 104v
- Script: Batarde
About the Scroll:
- Type of scroll: A&S prize scroll for the 2007 Defenders of the
- Scroll Recipient: Suzanne Gabrielle Marie Beraud
- Date of Completion: November 2007
- Paper: Arches #140 hot press
- Ink (calligraphy): Higgins Black Magic (black),
- Paint: Windsor & Newton gouache
- Gold: Schmincke Gold Pearl gouache.
- Dimensions: 9 x 12"
Additional notes: In the originals, the name of each
flower is in Latin at the top of the illumination, and in French at the
bottom. In my reproductions, the top is in English instead of Latin.
Each flower was chosen to represent a specific competition: I chose Saffron
for the A&S scroll. Saffron was used in period in cooking, fabric
dyes, paint pigments, and perfumes.
VIEW #1 | DETAIL